I commute daily by bus and one thing I love about it is the time to do my own thing, for about 35-40 minutes at a time – sometimes more when I’m walking a mile from my stop to my office to get exercise. I frequently spend my time reading, but often I’m listening to podcasts.
These podcasts are my entertainment of choice while doing things that otherwise occupy my eyes. I listen while doing basic work tasks, while cleaning, while walking – all the time! Below I’ve included a list of my favorite shows, but I want to mention another great form of audio entertainment – audiobooks. Most books are available in audiobook format, and it can be a great way to get reading done while you may not feel like you have a lot of time on your hands.
What’s better than trying this out? Being able to do it for free! You can
sign up with Audible to start your 30-day trial and get a free audiobook. Cancel before your trial ends and you will not be charged a dime. A recent read of mine that I’ve heard is hilarious as an audiobook is “Bossypants” by Tina Fey. Read by Fey herself, you may need to find a way to contain your laughter if listening in a quiet office.
If podcasts are more of your thing, here are a few of my favorites:
- Alohomora! “is an interactive and creative collaborative project between fans worldwide and MuggleNet staff. Join us as we re-read the entire series, spin wild theories, and share content all influenced by our love of Harry Potter.”
- A Cast of Kings is “a quasi-weekly discussion of the plots, themes and highlights of the HBO series ‘Game of Thrones.'”
- Good Job, Brain! is “part pub quiz show, part offbeat news, and all awesome. All the time! We here are nuts about trivia. And we are darn sure there are people out there who share our unusual obsession.”
- Judge John Hodgman “is a more-or-less weekly podcast in which [John Hodgman listens] to real life disputes on issues such as: When is it may someone else’s Chinese food be legally considered abandoned property? Is it OK to rifle through the trash for prize coupons in a Canadian pizza parlor? is a machine gun a robot? Then [he tells] the disputants who is right and who is wrong.”
- The Morning Stream is on “Monday thru Thursday, every morning, with Scott Johnson and the Frogpants Network. News, culture, politices and talk each and every day!”
- The Solid Verbal is “the best podcast for college football. Because you don’t just love college football, you live it.”
- How Stuff Works family:
- Stuff You Missed in History Class asks you to “join Holly and Tracy as they bring you the greatest and strangest Stuff You Missed In History Class in this podcast by HowStuffWorks.com.”
- Stuff You Should Know asks you to “join Josh and Chuck as they explore the Stuff You Should Know about everything from genes to the Galapagos in this podcast from HowStuffWorks.com.”